Thursday, September 27, 2007

India is Twenty-20 Champion :-)

India have won the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup beating Pakistan in the finals by 5 runs. Congrats to Dhoni and his boyz (it didn't take much time for Dhoni in getting used to calling his team-mates as boys :-) )

Dhoni came out to be a much better captain than I expected him to be. His poise under pressure and innovative bowling changes, with a bit of lady luck's blessing, is commendable. I still feel Joginder Sharma is not the kind of bowler in which a captain can show confidence to bowl the last over when the opposition just needs 13 runs, but Dhoni believed in him and luckily for India, his confidence was not betrayed.

Yuvraj was in supreme touch in the tournament- his batting proved that one does not need to slog, instead with immaculate timing and touch of class one can be as devastating as any blind-hitter. However he turned out to be a huge disappointment in the finals. But in a way, it was blessing in disguise for Indian cricket - I believe Indian cricket does not need heroes, but a bunch of performers. If Yuvraj would have been successful in the finals, he would have got the cult status of a hero, and everybody knows what have the heroes done to Indian cricket till now !!!

For me, the unsung heroes of the tournament were R P Singh and Gautam Ghambir. They were consistent performers, yet were never in the limelight. RP always gave break-throughs when his team needed and after a long, long time did I see an Indian bowler produce the sweet sound of willow of stumps being rooted out. Ghambir was also the 2nd highest run-getter in the tournament and consistent throughout.

Two faces, which have impressed me the most and in whom I think lies the future of Indian cricket are - Uthappa and Rohit Sharma. I'm not impressed by the runs they've scored, but rather the manner in which they scored it. R Sharma, in particular, what a cool head he has got and how sweetly he times the ball. Kudos to these two !!

Coming to Jonginder Sharma, I havn't seen as inconsistent a bowler as him for a looong time. He doesn't have line, nor length, nor pace, nor agression - I wonder why is he in the team. Ohh...ohh...I got it - he just has the luck of good timing - he just happened to there when Mizbah gave away the cup to India :-)

For me, the real comeback king was Irfan. He reminded me of the Pathan of yester years. He bowled with a lot of determination, bowled the slower one beautifully, rolled his fingers on ball to perfection, put the ball in the right areas - let me tell u guyz, Irfan is back and rocking !

And at last coming to the aged-trio of Dravid, Ganguly and Tendulkar, I don't know why they didn't participate in 20-20 but it was blessing in disguise for India. As Viv Richards aptly puts it - 'This version of the game requires bones which havn't broken yet'. :-)


3 cheers for the Indian team...hip-hip hurray...hip-hip hurray....hip-hip hurray.

No comments: